Talk to a Senior Care Advisor for Free
Call today 866-320-8803
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Medicaid Planning
- Power of Attorney
About Akin Law
Akin Law in DeLand, Florida Elder Law, Probate & Guardianship, LifeCare Planning, Medicaid Planning/Income Trusts | Volusia County - Business & Commercial Law. At Akin Law P.A., we assist a wide variety of Florida businesses with both transactional and litigation needs. From family-owned businesses to startups to companies that have been around for decades, we provide strategic and insightful guidance. In addition to providing advice on potential legal consequences of business decisions, our advanced tax degree allows a thorough perspective on the tax ramifications as well. With over 50 years of experience, we dedicate our time to your specific situation to help you make the best choices for your needs.
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Medicaid Planning
- Power of Attorney
- Business Law
Business & Commercial Law
At Akin Law P.A., I assist a wide variety of Florida businesses with both their transactional and litigation needs. From family-owned businesses to startups to companies that have been around for decades, I provide strategic and insightful guidance. In addition to providing advice on potential legal consequences of business decisions, my advanced tax degree gives me a more thorough perspective on the tax ramifications as well.
With over 25 years of experience, I can assist you or your business with:
- Business succession planning: I help with the tough decisions regarding what happens to your business in the future. When it comes time, I will make sure the transition is smooth and successful.
- Employment contracts: I will draft and review documents ranging from employment separation agreements to confidentiality clauses to noncompete agreements.
- Breach of contract: If you are trying to determine whether the contents of an agreement have been upheld, I can help.
- Transactions: I work to protect your business from potential problems or unnecessary costs.
Providing many services of an in-house lawyer in a more economical way, I assist you in making cost-effective decisions while also ensuring compliance. Because I will develop an understanding of the unique needs of your business, not only can you trust my counsel but we will also develop a long-term relationship for your ongoing and ever-changing business requirements.
Being prepared for the future is more than just planning for retirement. From determining whether a will or trust most meets your needs to knowing how such documents affect an entire family, only a trusted attorney can guide you through that process. At Akin Law P.A., I can help make sure you are truly prepared.
Peace Of Mind
Providing for your surviving family members isn't only about finances. It's about taking the burden off of loved ones when it comes to making decisions or going through a lengthy probate litigation process. It's about providing them with the time and ability to grieve without the additional stress of legal issues. I also understand the delicate nature of family dynamics and can help walk you through how each document and decision will impact the family landscape.
My advanced tax degree also gives me the added insight to help you understand how the decisions you make will affect your taxes. When it comes to planning ahead, there are some keys areas in which I can help, including:
- Wills: The importance of a will isn't determined by your age or wealth. A will is a critical document that everyone needs, regardless of your current health or financial status.
- Trusts: In Florida, a wide range of trusts exist to help protect your heirs and beneficiaries, such as revocable, charitable remainder and special needs trusts.
- Establishing guardianship: If you have been named a guardian, or you are looking to begin the process of finding a guardian for a loved one, I can help.
- Powers of attorney: Choose the individual you would like to act on your behalf if you are incapacitated and cannot make decisions about your finances and property.
- Living wills/healthcare surrogacy: Leave instructions on your preferences for end-of-life care.
- Elder law: I help families during times of transition, such as a parent moving in with a child, as well as with Medicaid planning. I am also VA accredited benefits advisor.
- Marital agreements: I can draft anything from prenuptial agreements to qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs).
Having an experienced estate planning lawyer walk you through the process of creating a will is invaluable. You'll feel confident that these critical documents can withstand all legal requirements in addition to covering elements you may not have known on your own, all of which help to avoid probate.
Florida has very specific requirements regarding issues such as homestead and disinheritance, and Akin Law P.A. will make sure you are aware of these laws. I will customize your will to reflect your wishes and the dynamics of your family. You can walk out with the peace of mind that you are prepared. More importantly, your loved ones will have someone they can trust and turn to with questions or concerns when you're no longer around.
From irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs) to pet trusts, there are numerous choices to consider when selecting what works best for your needs. Examples of the trusts available include:
- Revocable trust: You are able to use the funds while you are alive, but your beneficiary will be able to avoid a lengthy probate process.
- Elective share trust: Meets Florida's elective share requirements for the spouse while also allowing you to determine what happens to the elective assets when the surviving spouse dies.
A trust can also help you with Florida's convoluted homestead laws, ensuring your home doesn't become part of a complicated probate process.
Health Care Documents
Planning ahead also includes making medical decisions. Some of the ways I can help include:
- Living will: You can decide if you want to prolong your life even if medical science can't make you better. It also eases the burden on your family from making those decisions for you.
- Health Care Surrogacy: It's important to consider who you can trust to make the decisions you would want. This requires a great deal of introspection.
Helping You Through The Complicated Probate Process
When a loved one has passed, the time immediately following can be overwhelming. From dealing with the emotional impact of the loss to making final arrangements, it is an exhausting process. If you also have to deal with a complicated probate process, it might feel next to impossible. Whether you've been named the personal representative and don't know where to begin, or there is a question regarding the validity of a will, I can help guide you through the complex probate process.
If an estate has been thoroughly planned and a trust or will has been created, I can help the personal representative with the distribution of assets. If a will or trust is not in place, the probate process will be much more complicated and lengthy.
Common Probate Disputes
Oftentimes, blended families have more complications due to second spouses, children from a previous marriage, and step-children. Some other common disputes that may come up during probate that could require probate litigation include:
- Activities of the personal representative
- Distributing money before paying bills
- Whether the will is contestable
- Omission of assets
Other issues that may occur that I can help you with include:
- Ancillary administration
- Summary administration
- Creditor's rights
- Spousal rights