Star Spangled Flag Cake
Serves: 6 - 8
- 2 boxes red velvet cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients to prepare
- Blue food coloring
- Red food coloring
- 2 containers vanilla or cream cheese frosting
- 4 9″ cake pans
- 1 6″ cake pan
- Prepare and bake red velvet cakes in the four 9” pans per box directions. When cooled, cut each round into two layers for a total of eight thin layers. Set aside.
- For the blue layer, prepare the white cake mix per box directions then add blue food coloring to desired color. Pour into 6” round pan. (You will have batter left over. Just bake in separate pan and enjoy later.) When baked, let cool and set aside.
- Place the first red cake layer on serving plate, frost top, add second layer, frost and continue until you have eight layers. Using the 6” cake pan as a guide, center it on top of the cake and cut out the top three layers forming a hole.
- Lightly frost the sides only of the blue cake and drop it into the hole in the red layers. Finish frosting the top and sides of the red velvet cake.
- Take left over frosting and divide it into two small bowls. Add red food coloring to one and blue to the other. Pipe circles around the top of the cake, first red then blue and repeat. You should have three circles of each color on top of the cake when finished.
- Using the tip of a knife, insert it about 1/8 inch into the frosting starting at the center and draw it out across the circles. Next start on the outside and draw it to the center for the next slice. Repeat drawing center to outside and outside to center until done.
Aging Tree’s resident foodie.
This recipe was featured in Aging Tree Illustrated published July 1, 2015
Find Trusted Senior Services