Nana’s Comforting Creamed Onions
3-4 large sweet or yellow onions
½ stick butter
¼ cup Wondra flour or regular flour
1 cup milk or cream
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
- Peel onions and slice ¼” slices, cutting out hard center at the ends
- Cover onions in the saucepan with water and parboil for 15 minutes
- Drain onions and place in a cooking spray coated a casserole dish
- Melt butter in the saucepan
- Stir flour into cold milk and add to melted butter and heat until thickened. Add more flour or milk depending on consistency desired. Stir in salt and pepper. Once heated to the consistency of a thick gravy, remove from heat and add to the onions and stir together. Onions will have a little water left in them so that will thin the sauce a little. Breadcrumbs may be added but we like ours plain. Cover with foil and leave an air vent and bake.
- Garnish with favorite herb. Serve hot.
Use carrots prepared the same way, slicing them ½” thick. Parboil for 25 minutes then prepare the sauce the same as the onions. My non-onion family members like these as well. Omit breadcrumbs